- Nan Wilson's Manage Ad Music acquired by BMAT Music Innovators to become MAM BMAT
- Fourth Installment in Hit Christian Drama Series Screens in Los Angeles
- Blesscode Entertainment chooses Arroyo West Studios
- The International Cinematographers Guild to Honor Emmy® Nominated Cinematographer Patti Lee, ASC with the ASC Mentor Award
- SUBMISSIONS FOR THE 27th ANNUAL ART DIRECTORS GUILD AWARDS ARE OPEN ONLINE
- Tight Deadlines are Never a Problem
- SECOND ANNUAL DOME FEST WEST EVENT OCTOBER 6-9
- SYNCWEASEL LAUNCHES AS NEW PRODUCTION MUSIC LIBRARY
- It's No Lie..."True Lies" Is Coming Back
- What You Didn't Know About Steve Martin's Working Wildlife
- Newel LLC Acquires Dual Modern, Doubles Midcentury Inventory
- Nelson Creative Spaces Sounds Good
- WeCutFoam Collaborated with American Heart Association
- Use Us As Your Harware ToolBox
- eTech Rentals Now Offers Satellite Internet
- How Kirby Studios Is Transforming Confidential LA Film Shoots
- Supreme Prime Night at the ZEISS Cinema Lens Demo Center
- SmartSource® Announces the Appointment of Sergio Bertamini as Business Development Manager - Entertainment
- Top 10 Reasons to BOOK with HURLING STUDIOS
- THE INTERNATIONAL CINEMATOGRAPHERS GUILD ANNOUNCES THE 24TH ANNUAL ECA HONOREES
- Cine Gear Expo Atlanta 2022
- SOUNDTRACK FROM DOCUMENTARY MISSION: JOY
Fine Estates for Film & Photo Production
- Car Prep Hosts Maserati's MC20 Supercar and Now Available for Your Next Production!
- Balloon Wonderland for Wish Kids in Orlando
- Pacific Studios Custom Backdrop Made for BET "Scarifice" Season 2
- FILMING A PERIOD PIECE
- MAKE-UP ARTISTS & HAIR STYLISTS GUILD ANNOUNCES AWARDS TIMETABLE FOR 10th ANNUAL MUAHS AWARDS
- A Very Good Space expands again to become LA's most versatile true RGBw soundstage
- DETAILS ANNOUNCED FOR SECOND ANNUAL DOME FEST WEST EVENT
- The Minions Are Back in Action with Latest Installment in 'Despicable Me' Series
- WeCutFoam Fabricating
Exhibits and Décor for
Museum of Ice Cream,
San Francisco & Miami
- Production News & Events
- SmartSource® Supports 2022 Girls' Voices Now
Summer Filmmaking Program
- Equipment and Production Insurance is now offering annual production insurance policies with zero money down!
- Car Prep Inc. and Genesis GV70 at One World Observatory, New York
- WeCutFoam Collaborated With Internationally Acclaimed Artist Hueman
- RKM Studios Completes Color Correction for Feature Film "I'm Totally Fine"
- UGOSOUND STUDIOS Finishes All Audio Post Work On
- Rose Brand Dance Floors
- New All Tame Animals Brehon completes Natural Farm commercial
- Printhead Studio - a Rose Brand Company
- Visit Us at Cinegear 2022 Booth 231, June 9 - 11 I Los Angeles Convention Center
- Peter Five Eight Debuts at Cannes
- First Look - Cine Gear Expo LA 2022
- RuPaul's DragCon Makes Epic Comeback at LA Convention Center!
- Summer Production Expendables In Stock Now
- Production News & Events
- What do Ozark and The First Lady have in Common?
- Los Angeles LGBT Center Celebrates Legacies of Lorri L. Jean and Darrel Cummings!
- Aim High with Accurate Aviation Mockups and Props
- Guest Post: Lysette Urus Shares Her "Spa-Like" Escape at Producing Lab and Fast Track
- New "Black Back"
- Why is Robert Pattinson the Batman We've Been Waiting For?
- NABShow 2022
Las Vegas, NV, April 23 - 27, 2022
- HOLLYWOOD ON THE SPECTRUM: NEW PHOTO SERIES AND WEBSITE TO LAUNCH
- Samy's News Announces New DV/Edit Equipment
- A Renter's Guide: The 2020 MacBook Pro Features
- DOZAR Office Furnishings Reducing Rates for Filming
- SPIDER-MAN: NO WAY HOME AND "TED LASSO" PUBLICITY CAMPAIGNS WIN TOP HONORS
- Pool Floats Are Making Quite the Splash as SoCal Readies for Hot Weather
- Design Consultation, Specification & Build Services For Any Project Involving Fabric & Hardware
- INDIAN WEDDINGS
The Heart of What We Do, for real and for TV and Movie Shoots!
- Quixote has Aquired The Production Truck and Chandler Valley Studios
- Acclaimed Boston Music Company Gratitude Sound Names Jeff Turlik as Creative Director
- Charity Event - Peach On Earth - Ukrainian Relief
- New Indie Electronic Music Duo Turns It Up At The Roxy
- ALLOY TRACKS CURRENTLY CELEBRATING ITS 15th ANNIVERSARY
- The 26th Annual Art Directors Guild 'Excellence in Production Design' Awards
- Shining the Spotlight on The Dresden Sun
- MANN GETS A GRIP ON MATTHEWS
- Society of Camera Operators (SOC) Announces 2022 Governors Award
- LOCATION MANAGERS GUILD INTERNATIONAL 9th ANNUAL AWARDS
- READY FOR NATURAL LOOKING LIGHT THAT'S READY WHEN YOU ARE: ON STAGE, ON THE ROAD, ON LOCATION?
- Sun Valley Film Festival March 30 - April 3, 2022
- NINTH ANNUAL MAKE-UP ARTISTS & HAIR STYLISTS GUILD AWARDS
- FRANKIE GRANDE RETURNS TO HOST THE MAKE-UP ARTISTS & HAIR STYLISTS GUILD AWARDS
- JW Winco's New Standard Parts Handbook Is Here!
- ICG PUBLICISTS HONOR LEGENDARY FILMMAKER FRANCIS FORD COPPOLA
- OSBUN PULLS OFF CAPTIVATING MICOR-BUDGET FEATURE with Matthews
- TECHNOLOGY ALERT: JUST HOW CLEAN IS IT
- MEGATRAX REACHES LANDMARK MILESTONE
- Save The Dates - Cine Gear Expo Los Angeles & Atlanta
- Step And Repeat LA Has Been Hard At Work
- Mailbox Toluca Lake 'Doctor' is Here to Help
- MEGATRAX PROUDLY ANNOUNCES "TWISTED JUKEBOX"
- SAS MOVIES OPEN HOUSE
- Goodman Grip And Light Using Cutting Edge Lighting Technology
- AWARD WINNING COMPOSER FRED STORY SELLS STUDIO TO VOCAL INK PRODUCTION
- MEGATRAX TO PRESENT SPECIAL WEBINAR ENTITLED "HOW WILL PODCASTS EVOLVE FROM HERE?" ON DECEMBER 7TH
- How Eclectic Encore Props Transforms City Streets To Look Old In Movies
- Should You Shoot Your Film or Documentary With an iPhone?
- The animal wrangler: Jamie Stimach on why raccoons make great costars
- NIGHT LIGHTS by Bebee is the PREFERRED Choice for Production Companies
- Safari Technologies: Commercials • Print • TV • Features
- Reel Monster Trucks for your 2022 Production
- ALL CREATURES Has a Mission of Gratitued & Dedication
- depict Has a Wide Variety of Paintable Shapes Available to Rent
- Ambassador of Location Connection Presents "Emmy The Mini Horse" a 28" Inch Miniature Horse
- Forsberg Ranch & Company Welcomes You
- Printhead Studios Can Print Seamless Printed Fabric Backdrops
- SmartSource® Brand and Logo Continue to Reflect Its Customer-Centric Tradition and Optimism for 2022
- XM2 PURSUIT - WHAT IT TAKES TO WORK ON FAST 9
- Monster City Studios and Magic Wheelchair Team Up
- Kevin Hart's Laugh Out Loud, Sundance Institute Partner On Screenwriting Fellowship For Black Women
- Gray Television Purchases Third Rail Studios
- Remmet Studios Virtual Production
- Picture Rental Cars is the Garvins Garage Specialty
- Steve Martin's Working Wildlife
- The Temple of Vroom: The World's Largest Private Man Cave!
- SEQUIN ADDS SaaS EXECUTIVE BRYAN BRECKENRIDGE TO ITS BOARD OF DIRECTORS
- RM 15 CREATIVE LAUNCHES ENTERTAINMENT MARKETING THEMED PODCAST
- Perfect Latching
- AUERBACH TRANSLATING, SUBTITLING and DUBBING: DO's and DON'Ts
- Introducing PRIVADO from Vista Studios
- Rose Brand: From the Fanciest Main Curtains to Plain Black Masking
- Showbiz Restrooms provides clean, reliable services
- Scenic Expressions now offers Scenic Set Recycling Services
- MEGATRAX SECURES TWO 2021 "MARK AWARD" NOMINATIONS
- A Renter's Guide: The 2020 MacBook Pro Features
- Matthews Claw expands Rigging Options for Astera & T12 Tube Lights
- FIRST ANNUAL "DOME FEST WEST" ANNOUNCES DIRECTOR BRETT LEONARD AS KEYNOTE SPEAKER
- ELECTRIX: Give us a call to schedule your equipment rental!
- DJ DARENA JOINS MOkSHA MUSIC MANAGEMENT
- Branam Enterprises Has Moved
- David Panfili to Appoint Michael Paul as President of Location Sound Corp.
The Latest Industry News for the Exciting World of Production.
Creative Handbook puts together a bi-monthly newsletter featuring up-to-date information on events, news and industry changes.
Add My Email
February 10, 2022
The captivating film, Don't Tear Yourself Apart, proves that with ingenuity, friends and go-for-it attitude, anything is possible. Taking advantage of the Covid lull, co-executive producer and cinematographer JJ Osbun and screenwriter/director P. Tavares self-financed their first narrative feature. They shot for 10 days and completed the 97-minute film in 8 months time.
The camera package consisted of their personal iPhone 11 Pro and 12 Pro with 1:33 anamorphic adapters and cages that made creative rigging possible. With just himself on camera/grip/lighting Osbun kept his kit minimal and versatile, opting for color-LED lighting: two fresnels, a panel light, a few smaller fixtures and lots of tools from Matthews.
Osbun used a Go Kit, with 15mm Diff 1 and 2, 25mm Diff 2 and 3, 50mm Dif 3 and 4 C-Reflectors on nearly all setups."CRLS saved me time after time." Like when he needed to go low profile while shooting at a police station and a small 15cm C-Reflector sent a beam of sunlight 40 feet to hit an actor's face who would have otherwise fallen into shadow.
"The scene worked thanks to that C-Reflector fixed to a Babysitt'r, tucked far away." Later a single light mounted to a Matthews Monitor stand with both 25cm and 50cm C-reflectors pulled off double-duty lighting. "CRLS allows for multiple qualities of light from a single source."
It was his go-to for helping lights reach out over set. He used it to bounce a 1'x2' panel light onto the curved white ceiling for an effective makeshift cyc."I was able to set up scenes within 20-30 minutes by myself, he explains. "It was a sleeper hit -I knew I would use it, but I didn't realize how much."
Osbun used three Matthews 4.5" Vacuum Cups to mount the iPhone and lights to vehicles, explaining "With their 1/4"-20 threads you can use Matthews tapped Baby Pins to attach almost anything. Add a few Knuckleheads, and an articulating arm, and your options are significant. Building a car rig in 20 minutes was a big deal for our unforgiving schedule. These tools helped us create interesting perspectives to better tell the story-on a tight schedule with minimal resources-plus, the entire feature production kit fit in my Jeep."