- Still Time to Order Easter Decor & Supplies!
- LCW Pros Contributed to Captain Marvel!
- You're invited to 'Taste of the World Locations Show'
- The Inaugural See it - End it! Film & Arts Festival
- Dawn Animal Agency Provides Creatures on Camera
- Pursuit Aviation: Aerial Cinematography
- Steve Martin's Working Wildlife
- ISLE was invited to the annual meeting of...
- NAB Announces 2019 Digital Leadership Award...
- Bring your production to life...
- America's Got Talent Winner Darci Lynne Visits Remmet...
- Mob Scene Editors Co-Creative Directors
- 2019 HIFF Spring Showcase
- ASPECT NAMES NEW CREATIVE DIRECTOR...
- AFI FEST Key Dates + Call for Entries
- AVS Launches NAB Show Resource...
- Get Lucky with our St. Patrick's Day Sale!
- The ASC Welcomes Zhao Xiaoding as a New Active Member
- THE FASTER TOGETHER STAGE COMES TO THE RIO APRIL 9TH
- Save the date: Power Gems at Matthews Garage Sale
The Latest Industry News for the Exciting World of Production.
By: 32TEN Studios | July 15, 2013
32TEN Studios, a practical effects company based in San Rafael (CA) serving the entertainment, advertising, and corporate industries, has provided a number of practical effects for Pacific Rim. From Warner Bros. and Legendary Entertainment, Pacific Rim, directed by Guillermo del Toro, was released on July 12, 2013. The film grossed over $ 38-million during its opening weekend.
For Pacific Rim, 32TEN Studios worked on behalf of client Industrial Light and Magic, reporting directly to ILM VFX Producer Susan Greenhow. The shots were supervised by ILM VFX Supervisors John Knoll and Lindy DeQuattro. Since the film was converted to 3D, 32TEN Studios was asked to shoot its contributing shots in 3D. Red Epic cameras on 3D rigs were utilized by 32TEN to shoot various scenes of destruction.
Photo Caption: Left to right: ILM's John Knoll, director Guillermo del Toro, 32TEN Studios' Tim Partridge.
The primary scene produced by 32TEN was one in which the interior floor of an office building, filled with fully dressed office cubicles at 1/4 scale, was destroyed by the fist of a "Jaeger" robot. The fist travelled through the office floor, destroying everything in its path, and was followed by the 3D cameras on a separate pneumatically controlled rig.
Another shot produced by 32TEN was of several rows of seats in a soccer stadium being blown apart as a "Jaeger" lands in the stadium - the 1/4 scale seats were blown apart by air cannons. Additionally, 32TEN provided several practical elements for ILM's compositing team - these included dust clouds, breaking glass and water effects.
Lindy DeQuattro, Co-Visual Effects Supervisor, ILM, on Pacific Rim, said, "The key to successful effects work is to use the right tool for each job. We love to use practical effects whenever it makes sense because the inherent serendipity in special effects work gives us a level of realism that can be difficult to achieve in CG. The team at 32TEN Studios built beautiful models for us and then utterly destroyed them. The results were spectacular and the blending of these practical effects with our CG work brought the entire project up to a higher level of realism."
The 32TEN FX team involved with "Pacific Rim" included:
Model Supervisor -- Nick d'Abo
FX DP- Marty Rosenberg
Practical FX Supervisor - Geoff Heron
ABOUT PACIFIC RIM
From Warner Bros. and Legendary Entertainment, Pacific Rim, directed by Guillermo del Toro, was released on July 12, 2013. The storyline of the film is as follows: When an alien attack threatens the Earth's existence, giant robots piloted by humans are deployed to fight off the menace. The film was written by Travis Beacham and Guillermo del Toro, and stars Charlie Hunnam, Idris Elba and Charlie Day.
ABOUT 32TEN STUDIOS
Launched in early 2012 by longtime entertainment industry leaders Tim Partridge and Greg Maloney, 32TEN Studios is a production facility and Practical FX services provider located in San Rafael. The company provides its services to producers of major motion pictures, independent films, TV programs, commercials, industrials, web content and multi-media projects. 32TEN Studios is located at 3210 Kerner Blvd., San Rafael, CA, 94901. The phone is 800 717 3210, and the website is: www.32ten.com