More than $120,000 in prizes to be awarded as well as mentorships by award-winning producers David Friendly, Gary Goetzman and Erin O'Malley. Bruce Cohen, Gale Anne Hurd, Paul Reubens, Stacey Sher and Cathleen Summers served as judges for the top ten films.
The Producers Guild of America (PGA) is pleased to announce the ten short films that will be shown as part of the 2nd Annual Debra Hill / Producers Guild Weekend Shorts Awards presentation held in association with NewFilmmakers LA on Friday, November 16 at Sunset Gower Studios, the event's venue sponsor. The event will be hosted by the Producers Guild of America's National Executive Director, Vance Van Petten, with a cocktail reception to follow.
The Debra Hill / Producers Guild Weekend Shorts Contest was established to support talented and emerging producers through the Producers Guild's Debra Hill Fellowship bringing the inspirational spirit of Debra Hill's life and work to new generations of storytellers. The winning entries incorporated specific setting, themes and elements provided at the beginning of the two-day production weekend.
The top ten short films that will be screened at the event include:
1. A GRAIL OF TWO IDIOTS - Presented by Schwartzy & Pagana, produced by Tiffany DeMarco, Bailey Borders, directed by Orson Spielcock, III and written by Robert Beaucage and Schwartzy & Pagana
2. ALMOST A MOUNTAIN - Produced by Joseph Castanho, directed by Duane Trammell and written by Duane Trammell & Robyn Sarvis with Jeff Krebs & Joseph Castanho
3. BAD WOLF - Produced by Soyoung Jung, directed by Kalman Apple and written by Mark Parsons
4. CHANGE TO SPARE - Produced and directed by Bobby Grubic and written by Michael D'Orazio
5. CHECK MATE - Produced by Kim Murray, directed by Samad Banks and written by Samad Banks, Sam Espinoza & Andrea D. McGee
6. FINDING DEE DEE - Produced by Jen Ralston, Kaley Davis, Dani Leone, Ray Halliday & Elise Cannon, directed by Jen Ralston and written by Jen Ralston & L.E. Leone
7. HAT TRICK - Produced by Greg Nichols, Rachel Wilson & Shawn Green, directed by Greg Nichols and story by Shawn Green, Rachel Wilson & Greg Nichols
8. ROCK BOTTOM - Produced and directed by Carl Hansen and written by Clay Lapari & Carl Hansen
9. THE MENDING - Produced by Colin Peter Campbell & Matt Ima, directed by Colin Peter Campbell and written by John Sylvain
10. VOO DOO THE RIGHT THING - Produced by Christin Mizzelle & Bryan Nest, directed by Ethan Cushing and written by Arthur Tiersky
Beginning at 7:30 p.m., the top ten short films (three to five minutes in length) will be screened and the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners will receive prizes, valued at more than $120,000, in addition to a mentorship from celebrated PGA members and award-winning producers David Friendly, Gary Goetzman and Erin O'Malley. The top three winners will receive gift certificates for rentals and services from top industry companies and prize sponsors Panavision, Universal Studios, GDC Digital Services, Cinelease, Quixote, Alternative Rentals Digital Cinema, EVS, Movie Magic and Studio System.
The films were judged by veteran producers Bruce Cohen, Gale Anne Hurd, Paul Reubens, Stacey Sher and Cathleen Summers.
Sponsors include Karl Strauss Brewing Co., Kinky Vodka, ATS Audio Video, Revelry Event Designers, Mole Richardson Co., Prestige Wine Group, Opulent Vodka, UPrinting, Flowers in Beverly Hills and Diageo Chateau & Estate Wines.
To purchase tickets to the event, please click here: http://www.newfilmmakersla.com/programs/2012/debra-hill-producers-guild-awards-presentation.html
**Media credential requests for red carpet coverage and/or screening passes should be directed to Jasmine McAtee at email@example.com.
About the Producers Guild of America
The Producers Guild of America is the non-profit trade group that represents, protects and promotes the interests of all members of the producing team in film, television and new media. The Producers Guild has more than 5,300 members who work together to protect and improve their careers, the industry and community by providing members with employment opportunities, seeking to expand health benefits, promoting fair and impartial standards for the awarding of producing credits, as well as other education and advocacy efforts such as encouraging sustainable production practices. Visit www.producersguild.org, www.pgagreen.org and www.pgadiversity.org for more information.
About NewFilmmakers Los Angeles
NewFilmmakers Los Angeles (NFMLA) is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization designed to showcase innovative works by emerging filmmakers from around the world, providing the Los Angeles community of entertainment professionals and film goers with a constant surge of monthly screening events. NFMLA is committed to providing a forum where filmmakers can be recognized for their contributions, have open audience discussions about their projects and connect with industry professionals for insight on distribution, production, acquisition and representation.
Julie Cloutier (for PGA)
Chris de Haan (for PGA)
Jasmine McAtee (for NewFilmmakers LA)
NewFilmmakers Los Angeles (NFMLA) Press Director 323.521.7385 firstname.lastname@example.org